Wednesday, January 28, 2015

how to wear: colored tights





I've always had a love for colored and patterned tights...dating all the way back to the late 90's when I was rocking purple glitter and red striped tights in high school. #thankshottopic #dontjudgeme However, I revisited this look a few years back after I saw Blair Waldorf pair her outfits with colored tights on Gossip Girl. Side note, Blair Waldorf is my favorite fashion icon of all time!

Though colored tights can be a little intimidating, they can be the perfect way to brighten up your outfit on a dreary winter day with a pop of color. Not only can you wear them on date night, to a party/baby shower, etc...but you can also make these work for the office. Yes, that's right...regardless of age and size, ANYONE can wear these to work! They key is to keep the rest of your outfit simple.

My preferred way to wear colored tights is with a simple dress in a neutral color (black, grey, or navy), and minimize the rest of your accessories. Below I've styled my favorite black dress (J. Crew's Teddie dress), with four different shades of tights. As you can see I coordinated a necklace with each outfit, letting the tights be the focus of each outfit.

What do you think ladies? Will you try a pair of colored tights this winter? How will you wear them?

pink tights: Old Navy (similar) // flats: Forever 21 (love these)
necklace: Urban Peach Boutique (similar)



purple tights: Target // flats: Payless Shoe Source 
necklace: Guess via Crossroads Trading Co (love this one)


aqua tights: Target // flats: J. Crew Factory
necklace: J. Crew via Poshmark



red tights: Target (similar) // flats: Ann Taylor (love these ones even more!)
necklace: Forever 21 (similar)




.
xoxo,

15 comments:

  1. awesome idea!
    love the red look :-)
    xox inga
    www.heartoverhead.de

    ReplyDelete
  2. The.Cutest.Post.Ever!! Love this idea! I think my fave are the purple tights!! Great look :)

    www.taffetaandtulips.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the coordination between the tights and the jewelry! I think my fave is the purple. :)

    xx Alyson
    The Beauty Vanity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun post! I am torn between the purple/plum and the red ensemble for my personal favorites. Also shows how versatile a LBD is! ;) Xo, Alison

    http://www.simplyfairbyalisonjeanine.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! I think I've styled that dress about 20 different ways!

      Delete
  5. i really want that black dress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can probably find it on eBay...search for "jcrew teddie dress"

      Delete
  6. Wear do you buy all these gorgeous tights

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your choices of tights ! Royal blue dress paired with oceania tights by George hoisery from Walmart with royal blue velvet 5 inch high heels stilletos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun post! I am torn between the purple/plum and the red ensemble for my personal favorites. Also shows how versatile a LBD is! ;) Xo, Alison

    Justice League leather Jacket

    ReplyDelete